Our 12 Days of Tips series explores how small retailers can ACT now to repel data thieves during this prime shopping season. Awareness, Checking security controls and Testing security now will help your business lock down your systems during the holiday rush.
Merchants looking for more information on how to secure customer payment data should visit the PCI SSC merchant site.
Is Your Anti-hacking Software Working?
Anti-hacking software refers to security tools such as anti-malware and anti-virus software. Its diligent use is critical for protecting against breaches during the busy holiday shopping season.
We previously described malware as malicious software that allows hackers to sneak control of your computer systems, capture account credentials, steal payment card data and drain bank accounts – including yours and your customers’.
Our question here is: How can you be sure your anti-hacking software is working?
The first step is to ensure this software is installed on all computers connected to your store payment network. When installed and running, usually you can see a small security icon in the application tray located at the bottom of a computer screen. If you’re not sure, click on the application launch menu or check your computer’s master list of installed applications.
Now you’re ready! Here are three simple steps for making sure your anti-hacking software is actively protecting your business during the holiday shopping season – and beyond!
1. Set to “auto-launch” – always! On every computer, configure the anti-hacking software to automatically launch every time the machine is turned on. No exceptions!
2. Keep anti-malware current! Make sure the software is set to “automatic update” so you get the most recent protection available without having to think about it.
3. Protect installations and configurations. Set software’s configuration control to be password protected. It’s vital that this software always
If you need help configuring your anti-hacking software, consult the person who installed your computers and network.
Resources that can help you:
- Stay Smart on Protecting Against Card Fraud
- Protecting Your Customer’s Payment Card Data from Malware
- PCI Payment Security Resources for Small Merchants
Merchants looking for more information on payment security essentials should start here: